Looking For Some Background Data?
We've assembled some of the most trusted data available on identity theft, the connection to data breaches, and on law enforcement.
- There were an estimated 15.4 million victims of identity theft in 2016, a record high.1
- That works out to nearly 1.3 million victims every 30 days or 1 every 2 seconds.1
- Identity theft cost businesses and consumers $16 billion in 2016, which works out to roughly $1.8 billion every day.1
Data Breaches and Identity Theft
- There were 1,792 reported data breaches worldwide in 2016.2
- Those breaches exposed almost 1.4 billion data records.2
- Identity theft was the leading type of data breach in 2016, accounting for 59% of all data breaches.2
- There were a record 791 reported data breaches in the U.S. in the first half of 2017.3
1 Javelin Strategy & Research 2017 Identity Fraud Study, February 2017
2 Gemalto Data Breach Index March 2017
3 The Identity Theft Resource Center